Salma Hussein, LICSW, is a Somali American who has called Minnesota home since migrating from Somalia in 1995. She currently serves as an assistant principal at Central Senior High School in Saint Paul. Salma is deeply committed to social justice and is active in the Minnesota community, working intentionally to create community and connection.
Salma draws on her own experiences as an immigrant and her work with her students and their families, to work with administrators and staff to create strong home-school partnerships.
In May 2019, Salma presented an EDTalk that drew on her own experiences as an immigrant and her work with her students and their families. In her talk, she shared how creating strong home-school partnerships, celebrating diversity, and building authentic relationships are vital for student success.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Salma’s path through school as a child in an immigrant family fleeing civil war in her home country to her current role as an assistant principal at a high school.
- Her experiences in serving all youth and her passion for equity
- And we get to hear where Salma’s path is currently headed as she continues to use her voice and take up space as she words it.
I am thrilled to be able to have had this conversation with a deeply inspiring person and leader. After watching Salma’s inspirational leadership on social media, I knew there would be a profound mission in her message, and I feel so honored to share with you Salma Hussein’s Pathfinder Story.
Connect with the Salma Hussein:
Salma Hussein on Twitter
- Sarah’s Website
- Sarah on Twitter
- Sarah on IG
- Sarah on LinkdIN
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sarahsajohnson
- In AWE Podcast: www.inawetorise.com
- Subscribe: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/in-awe-podcast/id1446046418
- Join Sarah’s FREE Five Day Going Beyond Balance Challenge:
Need a high-energy, authentic presenter for your organization?
Contact Sarah Johnson for presentations on Going Beyond Balance, Leadership Foundations, Affirming Purpose, and many more.
Review the Podcast
The ranking of this show is 100% tied to subscriptions and reviews. You can help amplify more women and reach more who need their messages by subscribing to the show and leaving an honest rating and review on your favorite podcast platform.